Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Noemi Barrera on "Images of Sara Bartman"

        In Yvette Abraham's article Images of  Sara Bartman's she explains how the diving line between whites and blacks are based upon; race, class, gender, and sexuality. The point I would like to cover is how black women were different to whites because they were portrayed as savages, as oppose to white women who were considered the more modest,  chased after and basically the fair country women and how sexism and racism played a role in Sara's life.
        Abraham argues that black women were treated as sexual objects during these freak shows. These freak shows were part of the influence as to showing how black women were portrayed as savage. Those who would get close to them would see how wildly they acted and this was part of the reason why they were seen as savages. Although Sara lived a "freely" she was still treated as a sexual object. These freak shows allowed these bad images of who black women were among the British middle and working class culture.
         Although the British prohibited slavery among black women, this led me to believe that Sara was a spectacle who acted upon slavery actions. In these images Sara was seen less human than she was, but this allowed white women be the more modest, noble, and wiser choice for man kind. Even black men chose the white women over the black women as they were irresistibly attracted to them. White women were generally looked modest that even men would fight for their protection. That's how I can see that both racism and sexism takes place for black women and in the authors argument, Sara as well.
White women do not support equal pay for Latinas and Black women.      Today, even though slavery doesn't exist not only do black women face these sexist and racist conflicts so do Hispanic women. Both races are seen as the most savage among white women because Hispanic women don't get to exceed the same standards as white women professionally usually Hispanics today are stay at home mothers. Even white women actors get paid more than other races. In Latino household men are the most dominant or head of the house and that level of equality doesn't exist.

If you were a women going through what Sara did, What would you do to change the bad images that were representing your race and who you were?






       

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you have stated in your blog post. It is disgusting to me how much black women, hispanic women, asian women, etc are treated differently even today. Being a white woman, I will never fully understand what the women in minorities feel or what they have to deal with on a daily basis, but, reading about Sara and how balck women were so savagely treated made me sick and made me realize how lucky I am. If I ever went through what Sara went through during this time, I wouldn't even know what to do, all I know is that I would feel disgusted with myself and others around me.. I would probably fall apart, but Sara didn't. She put up with alot, and I respect that so much.

    ReplyDelete