Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Ryann Beemsterboer on Chimamanda Adichie

In her speech “The Danger of a Single Story,” Chimanda Adichie mentions the idea of confusion between knowledge and familiarity. She tells a story of her professor claiming that a novel she worked hard on was not “authentically African” because the characters drove cars and were not starving. Her professor believes that he has knowledge on Africa, but it is just what he has been told over and over again, what he is familiar with.

This video, in general, made me feel shameful because I am guilty of believing the single stories I hear. Being someone of “privilege,” I was shocked to learn of Adichie’s perspective. I have not experienced many misconceptions about my way of life so, in order to relate to her, I had to simplify her experience. The idea stood out to me above all else because I often respond in arguments with phrases like “well so and so told me…:” or “well I heard that…” which does nothing more than prove that I use and believe a single story I have been told over the truth and do not think of the chance that what I am saying is just a story. Adichie’s point of view put my way of thinking into perspective and has allowed me to open up my way of thinking. Her perspective is eye-opening and thoughtful.

For Adichie, I can imagine hearing the words from her professor to be frustrating and enraging. Being told that she was not authentic because she did not come from the part of Africa that is most commonly stereotyped must have hurt. It may have even made her feel less connected to her home because others simply do not understand that people in Africa can be different, just as citizens in America vary widely. The fact that she can overcome comments such as the one above mentioned in a manner that allows her to speak about them is inspiring and empowering.

Misunderstandings like the one Adichie experienced happen every single day, all around the world. A topic that foreigners seem to think they know about China is that Chinese men treat women as though they are worth much less than men. In reality, women in China are not discriminated against any more than women in America. This assumption is harmful because it may stop foreign women from wanting to visit China. China has many extraordinary sights to see and places to visit, but women all around the world miss out on these experiences in fear of the poor treatment rumors. https://matadornetwork.com/abroad/china-heres-americans-get-wrong-homeland/

So what are some common misconceptions about you (classmates) are often mistaken for the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment